• Creator
    Topic
    Thobeka Marumo
    Participant

A lot has happened that has frustrated me, left me broken,confused and afraid of the future. it’s been such a long journey to figure out and understand how the experience of stroke left me feeling and how it impacted me. Spent most of my time in Denial or avoidance phase. Facing it was scary (looking at my state (physical,emotional)at the time, what it took from me & plans) but I’m glad I did, speaking to my loved ones and understanding how it impacted them has helped me feel better. In as much as I was directly impacted, they were also indirectly impacted. I was never alone even though it didn’t feel like that at the time 😄 I’m okay with being DIFFERENT and that’s what is currently adding spice into my environment. Uniqueness is my own signature, accepting that change is constant and normal makes me better. I don’t think there is final destination but living in the moment and breathing with every step , things will be good. just thought I should share with you 😘.

• Author
    Replies
    • Avashna Moodley
      Participant

We go through the different stages of grief, in the imperfect order.

Glad you have reached the stage of being “ the great acceptor “.

Regards
      Avashna Moodley
      CEO
      http://www.hospital2home.co.za

• Thobeka Marumo
        Participant

Thank you. I doubt I’m fully there (great acceptoe) but I’m willing to work on myself daily. Every moment (emotions) that feels great or bad I want to acknowledge and share it and no longer suppressing.

• Strokefocus Admin
      Participant

You are doing the right thing.

We learned that the hardest part of dealing with stroke and aftermath is
      the helpless feeling that we are facing it alone. Talk to the community.
      Share your experience. We are not alone.

• Sanelisiwe Sibisi
      Participant

Thank you for sharing ey😊 My life was changed completely when i was 14years old and i didn’t understand what going on, i was lost 💔😞but i needed to survive i guess and its wasn’t easy even Now thts y i always say u need to grief ur past life and then u will be healed in ur own time and im getting there bit by bit 🙂

• Thobeka Marumo
        Participant

Thank you for sharing your story. It takes long to get there, just take it easy on self

• Strokefocus Admin
      Participant

Thobeka, I hear you. This is a very thoughtful post.

What do you think of an opportunity to help stroke survivors from other
      country, for example, Zambia to adjust to the new life after stroke?

• Thobeka Marumo
        Participant

I think it’s very important to adjust & adapt and with the right support it is possible. The journey is not as lonely as it might feel. I think knowing that others are going through the similar experience and we can talk about this experience makes things better. Experiencing a stroke is another chance to connect with others in a different way, learn about self and thrive. Individuals shouldn’t hide or be hidden, as survivors we are a community that can still contribute. If we can stand up and be seen, heard and impact our emv

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.