Home Forums For Caregivers Finances Child supporting parent

  • Creator
  • #37101
    Member Services

    One of our members from South Africa submitted the following:


    As an only child (23), Im currently financially supporting my mom who had a stroke last year.
    I would like to know what financing options there are for us as my mom has been unemployed for the past year and a half and I’m not permanently employed.


    If you are a caregiver who has dealt with a similar situation, please help by replying to this email with your experience.

    Sent from Stroke Survivors Foundation (SSF) -PDSS

  • Author
    • George Scola

      Lidia, please could you provide further information. See below question.
      Thank you


      From: Strokefocus Member Services <delivery@strokefocus.net>

      Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 11:35 AM

      To: George Scola | SSF <george@strokesurvivors.org.za>

      Subject: Member Services started a new topic on Finances: “Child supporting parent”!


    • Thobeka Marumo

      This situation seems very hard for you, having to adjust to various aspects of life post your mum’s Stroke.
      As Avashna has suggested try SASSA, you can try and go in alone to get all the necessary information before taking your mother.

      I will share my experience, but maybe things have changed  ( I heard of online process for grant application):
      We went to Sassa offices where we were given forms that we had to fill and one we took to hospital to be filled by doctor. They had given us a date to bring back the forms together with required documents.
      On returning the forms, they set up an appointment ( 2-3 weeks later)for us with you state doctor (Internal doctor). Who conducted a physical check and made her decision based on her assessment. We proceeded to the office where all was completed.
      They started it off being 6 months with renewal and after few years…It became permanent.
      Please find out from their offices for new processes.
      Hope this was helpful.

    • Avashna Moodley

      Maybe try to apply for a Sassa disability grant . Usually , you will get a letter from the hospital stating that she is allegeable for  this grant.

      Regards Avashna Moodley0837881641

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.