morning. Luckily my wife was there. I got
    to the hospital, but not in
    time for the shot (TPA).
    This is his question:

I went backwards in my recovery.
    I exercised regularly and about 1 year
    things got worse. I have bad balance.
    It has been 2 years now. What can I do?
    Your insights might be helpful and any help you can provide is appreciated.

• Author
    Replies
    • Vince
      Participant

I absolutely agree with Daniel. Partnering with your care provider is going to be one of the best steps to map a plan.

My stroke was 4 years ago and it was so surprising that even after that first year and even year 2, I still made progress.

If we journal, we may be able to find where we were a bit earlier in our recovery and reflect on how we handled those days.
      Keep strong and keep sharing with the community. We know this road very intimately.

• Strokefocus Admin
      Participant

We received this from a survivor. This is his story: I got up and went down [had a fall] in the morning. Luckily my wife was there. I got to the hospital, but not in time for the shot (TPA). This is his question: I went backwards in my recovery. I exercised regularly and about 1 year things got worse. I have bad balance. It has been 2 years now. What can I do? Your insights might be helpful and any help you can provide is appreciated.

Vince, thank you for posting. Please forward the URL of this discussion thread to the survivor who asked the question.

And I would really encourage professionals being notified of this discussion offer your opinion.

I would myself do 2 things:

1) I would have a candid discussion with the professional in charge to talk through my concern. I would also ask for an MRI just to be sure.

2) then I would also have faith that recovery continues. 2 years seem a long time. Most of my functions return in 3-4 years. Jill Bolte Taylor, the Harvard Professor who suffered a massive stroke and fully recovered, documented that by Year 4, she could not handle division. Her math skill was less than a 5th grader. Although after full recovery, she went back to become a dean of neuroscience again.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.