• Creator
    Topic
    Joyce Hoffman
    Participant

I’m wondering if aphasia will go completely away!

• Author
    Replies
    • Strokefocus Admin
      Participant

Cam, did you feel anything specifically has been more helpful? Or they all helped?

• Anonymous
      Inactive

I have aphasia.  My stroke was almost 7 yrs. Ago and mine has gotten better, so much so that most people do not know I have it.  I worked hard to get where I am.  Talking, doing podcasts, public speaking all helped.

• Strokefocus Admin
      Participant

Joyce, I am very lucky that aphasia did not really impact me. But I have heard this is one of the worst thing stroke brings.

I do know and observe that some of my friends who suffered aphasia got better over time. But that is often attributable to their continued efforts to practice and get better. Sheer will does make a difference.

• Anonymous
      Inactive

When I had the stroke in 2010 I was unaware of aphasia support groups. I took it upon myself to improve my delayed speech by using a game called brain age and reading as fast as I could for an entire year. My speech was quite delayed and over time has improved considerably. I also chose to volunteer at our local police department  one afternoon every week. This interaction was also very productive in  improving my speech.

Still if I’m nervous at times it can be hesitant. I’m blessed as my cognitive skills were not as badly effected. So I’ve learned how to work around most situations.

So yes I agree you can experience tremendous improvement. Another thing, what you critically hear others don’t.

• This reply was modified 54 years ago by .
    • Joyce Hoffman
      Participant

Helpful comment, Naomi!

• Anonymous
      Inactive

it will go away.

• Anonymous
      Inactive

I like your photo !!!

• Joyce Hoffman
      Participant

It will fade over time.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.