• Creator
    Topic
    Joyce Hoffman
    Participant

Is it common for someone to lose all thoughts of intimacy as a survivor?

• Author
    Replies
    • Shaun vorster
      Participant

hi Joyce my experience has been the opposite,as a male,I can only image how challenging it must be for a lady,but today I have had a life changing revelation. we as survivors want to survive in every sense of the word.this includes many taboo activities which we ourselves have highlighted as being an issue,my advise……try not overthink it ,just go with it”adapt and overcome”💪👍

• Anonymous
      Inactive

We have upgraded the system. Now when you respond to a topic by email, you
      will see paragraph breaks. And we have also added other enhancements. More
      forums are open. Give it a try.

• Mariaan Emmenis
      Participant

I actually don’t know… been married for 7 years, my stroke brought my husband and I a lot closer in all aspects

• Hector Huerta
      Participant

The intimacy has grown intensity but, the phsical part has not. This has made my relationship with my wife closer and more emotional. We talk to more about our emotions. I miss the intimacy but my connection is alot better. I no age is not or should not be a factor. But I enjoy my wife and she enjoys me. God is great.

• Shaun vorster
        Participant

good morning hector I fully agree and can relate!the challenge we face on a physical level is often born out of a memory we’ve had/got from a time gone by,my wife and I are on a very different level when it comes to intamacy,I am in uncharted waters here as we all have needs but A real hug and kiss from the soul are fantastic and if it leads to physical then brilliant!and as you have said GOD is great as it’s through his grace we are having this conversation and allowed to feel incredibly deep love🙏

• Strokefocus Admin
      Participant

I have not experienced any loss of intimacy.. it has actually increased for me Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

This is actually very good. What do you think are the factors that help?

• Mariaan Emmenis
      Participant

I have not experienced any loss of intimacy.. it has actually increased for me

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

• Strokefocus Admin
      Participant
      Clem, very thoughtful!!

• clemsuder
      Participant

I know that even in the best of relationships intimacy when you think you are doing it for the other person is difficult,  to participate in intimacy in your relationship you must do it for yourself. If both participate for themselves but share the joy they give each other the joy of intimacy will be renewed. Making another happy can be a totally selfish act. The reward is the increase of joy for both.

Sent from my iPad

• Joyce Hoffman
      Participant

Alone time is important, gaining perspective on coming to grips with the reality. Good for you in choosing focus on the stroke instead of on your partner.   

• Thobeka Marumo
      Participant

I experienced my stroke at the age of 22. I found myself not even missing my partner, felt like I had far more important things to do than to deal with him. I had received my treatment from traditional healers and not medical medicine. So I am not sure if the herbs contributed or not but I just wanted to spend time alone. 

• Joyce Hoffman
      Participant

Some people don’t think of medications as a possibility. On other hand, your need for anti-depressants might have taken a higher priority at the time in question. Call your doctor to find out more.

• Kele Motshwane
      Participant

In the beginning I didn’t have any desire for intimacy and I thought that it was because of the anti depression that I was taking and I stopped taking them 

• Strokefocus Admin
      Participant

One of the survivors in the community asked this question:

“I am not sure about it being common. Stroke is traumatic, all your thoughts and energies shift to ones rehabilitation, recovery and adjustments. Some things take a back seat.

I also did not have a desire for intimacy while in recovery, it was only after my physical recovery that …oh well the rest is history”

Anything you can share with your experience is greatly appreciated. Tell us what you think>

• Joyce Hoffman
      Participant

Best wishes on trying new things. You don’t know unless you try!

• Joyce Hoffman
      Participant

I  believe it may be from the medication. So many causes. Same outcome.

• Compton Cam
      Participant

Yes.  I believe you can/do.  There are many factors, it could be the medicine you are on, could be that you are working everything else so hard that it is just not something else you could do and it could be something physical and you might want to check with your doctor.  If you are diabetics are also known to lose interest in intamacy.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

• Hector Huerta
      Participant

Yes it is very important to the relationship strong. You can understand they walk is so hard to get done but driving is easy. Even thou it’s hard in the beginning, you get used to it in time.

• Strokefocus Admin
      Participant

I hear you.

Not only that. After a stroke, the spouse is dealing with a totally different person. We lost some of our abilities. We no longer have the same energy or even personality. All these make it very hard to keep the relationship it once was.

I heard many heartbreaking stories how stroke destroys families. I also heard many stories how stroke starts new relationships.

Within Strokefocus team, there are people who found their new love and even got married after stroke. So it really depends.

• Thobeka Marumo
      Participant

I am not sure about it being common. Stroke is traumatic, all your thoughts and energies shift to ones rehabilitation, recovery and adjustments. Some things take a back seat.

I also did not have a desire for intimacy while in recovery, it was only after my physical recovery that …oh well the rest is history

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.